A wise spiritual leader at my high school once told me about Love Letters. She explained that these are the things that happen in daily life that God has sent us that make us smile: strangers saying hi, receiving a card in the mail, talking to an old friend, etc. Today I received a love letter in the form of a stranger when I was leaving work and headed to my car in the parking garage. An elderly gentleman held the door for me as I was entering the parking deck. As I turned to head for the stairs instead of the elevator he said "You know what I will follow you and do as many as I can" I told him I would watch him, as this is something I do on a daily basis with my patients. We talked about my schooling and where I am from. He asked me where I was going to settle after all my travels and I told him I wasn't sure but I enjoy where I am now. He told me "You have a beautiful smile and a beautiful warm personality I can tell you are good at what you do, I know you will get a job offer here". This may sound cheesy, but this man in 3 minutes put a smile on my face and put me at ease with everything. (And yes, he made it up the 3 flights of stairs just fine)
I have had an emotional past week and half with many life changes. I have learned many things about myself through these trials. I found a quote that speaks volumes to the realization I have made today. "Life is too short to be anything but happy. So love the ones who treat you right, forget the one's who don't. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. No one said it would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it." I know this has probably made its rounds on face book or through emails but this quote is so true. Through working where I am now I have truly seen that life is not guaranteed or promised and any one second can change your life so drastically. Often times when one thing or another happens it is easy to become discouraged and upset. I had been stuck in those awful feelings for a few days with everything going on, but we truly have to look at the big picture. The big picture is we have ONE life to live, no time promised or guaranteed. We must not depend on anyone else for our happiness but find what is truly important to us so that we are living with no regrets. Sometimes when one chapter in life or one door closes it is very discouraging but we must remember that every. single. thing. happens for some reason even we cannot even fathom the reason. We must also learn to forgive others. Often times when people hurt us, we must understand that they are probably hurting in some fashion too that caused them to treat us the way they did. I truly believe that most people are good people but sometimes life situations causes them to hurt others who they truly love.
I feel so lucky to have been blessed with my love letter today and know that all these trials will pass with time and everything will work themselves out. I hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday in preparation for Christmas/the Holiday Season!!
No comments:
Post a Comment