Sunday, November 4, 2012

Run, Girl, Run!

Yesterday, I officially completed my very first 1/2 Marathon. My roommate, her fiancé, and my dear friend Joanna drove down to Savannah, arriving Friday evening. We arrived just in time to head down to register at the Expo and take some necessary pictures of the beautiful sunset over the Savannah River.
On Saturday, our alarms went off at 5:10 and we were up in preparation. I wore my Brooks Running Shoes, nike drifit socks, Nike spandex capri pants and a Nike drifit pink shirt. My pre race meal was two pieces of Natures Own Light Honey Wheat bread spread with creamy PB and honey drizzled on top! I had a quick cup of black coffee as well. We left the hotel around 5:45 and sat in traffic on our way to our garage!
Around 7:45 we headed to our corrals. Amanda and I were together luckily in corral 22, which started the race around 8:30am.





And then we finally finished!! I finished in 2:15:16. 5 minutes over my goal, but I figured not to shabby for my first. I kept under 10 minute miles for the first 8 but then started to get tired. I think I may have gone out a little too fast because I PRed in my 5k portion of it. Here is Amanda and I at the end, resting in the grass. When you finished running they gave you your medal and then started stuffing your arms with gatorade, water, chocolate milk, marathon Snickers bars, Gatorade GU, bananas, muffins, bagels! It was a little overwhelming to say the least!



After the Race, we waited for Amanda's fiancé Matt to finish his Marathon! He did great. We all piled in the car and made the trip up to Hilton Head to relax and refuel. After a long relaxation session (tried taking a nap, to no avail!), we headed to Aunt Chiladas. Amanda and I enjoyed a lovely margarona... YUM and Joanna and I split a delicious BBQ Jalapeño Burger.


Joanna and I headed home after dinner to just lay out on the couch! This morning we woke up to a beautiful view of the beach before we headed home.


I truly can't believe this weekend is over already. I am sore in my calf muscles but just feel so blessed to have trained for 3 months for a successful race. I had two set backs during training: 1. mid foot pain caused by shoes 1/2 size too small that put me out for a week and a half and 2. a nasty cold that had me out for 2 weeks. I can honestly say, I never a year ago would have even considered a 1/2 marathon as I have had a hate-hate relationship until recently with running. During my run, I was so distracted by the beautiful sites of Savannah and thinking about how lucky I am to have the use of both of my legs and the gift of being able to run, that it went by remarkably fast!

The last question from every single person who I have talked to has been... will you do it again.... and the answer is... Yes!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment