Thursday, September 15, 2011

All Dogs go to Heaven




On Tuesday, September 13, my beloved puppy Sandy Ginger had to be put down. Sandy was 2 months and 1 day away from her 15th birthday. Sandy had been suffering from a fever, lost control of her back legs and had not eaten in 48 hours. When I saw my Mom calling at 11:30pm the night before I knew something was up and as soon as she mentioned Sandy's name I began crying.... a little background for you....


Growing up, I was always the child who was petrified of dogs. If I saw one near me I would run to the nearest adult to be hoisted up as high away from the dog as I could be. Sandy was a combination of me asking for a dog/my parents helping me get over my fear for these lovely things.


Sandy was an instant hit in our house. My parents drove in the blizzard to Southern MD to get her one weekend. She was the last left of her litter and was 12 wks old. My parents always tell the story that when they arrived to meet her she was outside in the snow with her mother. When they let the dogs in Sandy ran and grabbed a towel out of the open closet for the breeder to dry her off (since she had seen them do this everytime). My parents say thats when Sandy won their heart over. 


The event of naming Sandy was a long processes due to the fact that I was sold on the name Sandy but my dad was worried since we had two neighbors with that name. He said it would be bad if we were yelling her name alot, they might think I was calling for them.


Sandy was a sweet puppy from the start. She absolutely loved visitors and would lick you to death. We always joked that if a burglar ever broke in, Sandy would lick them out of the house. Sandy was with me the first time I stayed at the house alone and always made me feel so comfortable. Her nightly routine was to start in Bianca's bedroom until she fell asleep, visit me until I fell asleep then head to my parents room for bed.


I could go on and on and on with stories, but Sandy was truly like a sister to me. I always used to laugh when people said that humans glorify pets to the human status but I think that was how it was in my family. I mean, my dad would even make extra burgers or sausages for her on the grill....


I never knew it would be this hard to lose a pet. In the end of her life, Sandy had become very strict in her ways. She walked you. She barked when she wanted you to come downstairs and pet her. Despite all her lipoma tumors, Sandy kept a sweet attitude through it all.


Who knew it would be so hard to lose a pet. I used to always laugh when you would hear the debate about people glorifying pets to human status but I will say Sandy was truly like a sister...


My internet is shaky so I will add some pics when it lets me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment